Osadchiy Eugene. The fortress of Belopol’e city in 17th — 18th centuries. The fortress of Belopol’e was in the steppe corridor. That is what caused the defensive character of the settlement. It arose at the confluence of the rivers Kryga and Vir. Since the end of the 11th century, in this place there is the chronicle city Vir. It mentioned in the chronicles in connection with internecine wars the middle of the 12th century. In the middle of the 13th century the city was destroyed by the Mongols and the region comes into disrepair. From the middle of 17th century on the place of the old fortifications Vir Cossack built the town Kryga. In 1672 Cossack settlers built a new fortress. This fortress existed until the end of the 18th century.
Source: Osadchij E.M. (2015). The Fortress of Belopol’e city in XVII–XVIII centuries. Gardarika. Vol. (2), Is. 1: 18-25
Source web-site: http://ejournal26.com/journals_n/1429563190.pdfNumber of views: 1511